Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A profound friendship

My last post reminded me of too much things that happened at my childhood and in my neighborhood. Since my parents has just sold our old apartment couples of weeks ago, I would like to mention one of my best friend during the period of my life teacher Charlotte.

Teacher Charlotte was my teacher at a cram school when I was about 10 years old. Since I can seldom catch up with my classmates, I dropped out of the class. I visited her with a whole bunch of chocolate in hands, and asked her if she can be my tutor, and she, as a sweet tooth, accepted.

Teacher Charlotte was a gorgeous British and Dutch mixed blood, and her hometown is South Africa. When we were neighbors, I lived at eighth floor and she’s at sixth floor. She adopted two stray dogs and we were good friends…..most of the time.

I learnt from her for more than six years, and she not only taught me English, but also comforted me whenever I feel depressed. We cooked together, and we shared foods. When my parents went out, she became my baby sitter.

She is very different from me. She is outgoing and likes to travel, and I am shy and quiet. She had been to many countries and I like to listen to those stories. I admired her philosophy of life: Carpe Diem.

I am too shy to speak in public, even in Chinese, but teacher made me feel at my ease to speak in English, though still not in public. We communicate well, and she understood my Chinglish.

All good things came to an end. Charlotte found her Mr. Right and went back to South Africa. We have never connect with each other since then, but I believe that even though the memory will inevitably faded, it won’t vanish.

1 comment:

  1. It is good to have a foreign teacher,there are so many things we can learn from them.Because of culture differences,it is so interesting to talk to foreigners.I took a foreign teacher's class during junior and senior high period.He is a Canadian.After watching a Youtube video, I discovered that was exactly what he did!!!
    http://youtu.be/XPSiaCFDtAQ
    plz start from 3:10!
    PS.This guy is so interesting!What an interesting Indian:)

    ReplyDelete